British Isles seminar - Adelaide
England - Ireland - overcoming dead ends
Paul Milner is a professional genealogist, lecturer and author, specialising in British Isles research for over 30 years. Paul was born and raised in northern England and settled in the US in 1975. He is an internationally recognised speaker on British Isles research and migration. He is the lead presenter on the 3rd Unlock the Past history and genealogy cruise in February 2013. This seminar is one of a series he is doing in six cities around Australia either side of the cruise.
WHEN: Tuesday 26 February 2013, 1pm - 9pm
WHERE: Unley Town Hall, 181 Unley Rd, Unley
COST: $39.50 pre-booked - by Monday 25 February 2013 (12 noon)
on the day $60
evening only (after 5pm) $29.50 pre-booked - on the night $40
This seminar is hosted and organised by Genealogy SA
in association with Unlock the Past
Program subject to minor change
|1.00pm||registration, exhibition, book sales plus Flip-Pal demos|
|2.15pm||Welcome and seminar introduction||Richard Sullivan|
|2.20pm||Overcoming the dead end doldrums||Paul Milner|
|3.10pm||promotion - UTP||Alan Phillips|
|3.20pm||break and exhibition|
|3.50pm||Buried treasures: what’s in the English parish chest||Paul Milner|
|4.40pm||Findmypast.com.au: gateway to the world collection||Rosemary Kopittke|
|5.10pm||Flip-Pal mobile scanner demo||Rosemary Kopittke|
|5.25pm||Genealogy SA||Richard Sullivan|
|5.50pm||meal break and exhibition|
|7.00pm||English civil registration: tips for use and problem solving||Paul Milner|
|7.50pm||English Special Interest Group|
|8.00pm||Finding your ancestors in Ireland||Paul Milner|
|8.50pm||Irish Special Interest Group|
- Buried treasures: what’s in the English parish chest - The English parish was both an ecclesiastical and a civil jurisdiction. Both jurisdictions created informative records and kept them in the Parish Chest. This presentation will examine the breadth and wealth of information that can be found, going well beyond the baptism, marriage and burial registers.
- English civil registration: tips for use and problem solving - Tips for use and problem solving - Learn the process by which English vital records (birth, marriage and death) are created and collected. See examples of the information they contain and the problems they can create. Learn how to access the national indexes and economically obtain certificates.
- Finding your ancestors in Ireland - This is a good overview of procedures to follow in performing Irish research. Lots of examples illustrate the wide variety of records that can be utilised in the research process.
- Overcoming the 'dead end doldrums' - All researchers at some time enter the doldrums and feel they have reached a dead end in tracing a particular line. Learn clear steps to overcome the doldrums and get around the dead end.
- Findmypast Australasia: gateway to the World Collection - Learn what a great range of unique records are available for researching family and local history on this new site and learn the best way to do it. Recent developments have seen the data available here more than double!
details to come
Prizes and special offers
Click here for details.