A Gathering on the Norfolk Plains 2013 & Descendants Day
Tasmania's Norfolk Plains were named to acknowledge the Norfolk Islanders expelled from the island in 1813, and resettled in the towns and rural properties around Longford, Cressy, Bishopsbourne, Illawarra and Perth. A program of events will be held over the weekend to commemorate 200 years since the settlement.
Descendants Day will be the feature event and families descended from the original Norfolk Islanders are invited to set up a family history display and interact with other families and community members throughout the day.
Friday 1st March
Evening: Music Hall, by G-String Productions at the Longford Town Hall
Saturday 2nd March
All Day: - Descendants Day, venue in Longford TBA
- Display of the local schools' students work on 'Discovering the Norfolk Plains'
From 10am: Old time music and dancing on the Village Green, Longford
11am: - Official launch of the Gathering including the launch of the 200 years book and medallion. (Register your interest to secure your medallion or copy of the book)
- "Voices from the Graves" theatrical performance in the adjacent Christ Church graveyard
Early Afternoon: Matinee: Music Hall, by G-String Productions at Longford Town Hall
Evening: - Colonial themed dining experiences in local eateries
- Music Hall, by G-String Productions at Longford Town Hall
Sunday 3rd March
Morning & Early Afternoon: Guided bus tours of Pateena Road
10am-3pm: Longford Blessing of the Harvest Festival with a colonial theme on the Village Green
Afternoon: - Matinee: Music Hall, by G-String Productions at Longford Town Hall
- Interdenominational church service at Christ Church, followed by farewell function
Throughout the Weekend
- Self-guided tours of the Norfolk Plains
- Norfolk Plains themed art exhibition at Eskleigh Home, Perth
- National Trust Heritage Centre in Longford, open 10am-4pm Saturday & Sunday
- Woolmers, Brickendon & Clarendon open for guided or self-guided tours
- Toosey Resident's Memories of the District & Photo display, 10am-2pm, Toosey, Longford
- Christ Church open Sunday for services and viewing
- National Trust Properties in closr proximity are well worth a visit (Claredon & Franklin House)
Please register your interest in participating in Descendants Day.