Researching your ancestors in the armed services
17 Aug 2011 10:00am - 11:30am
- Genealogical Society of Northern Territory, 1st Floor, 25 Cavenagh Street
- Northern Territory
Outline of the session by Peter Thomas:
During 1914~1918, 360,000 Australians enlisted, out of a population of less than 5 million.
During 1939~1945, more than a million enlisted out of a population of less than seven million.
So, if your ancestors were of "military age" (18~50) at the relevant time, they may have attempted to enlist. The National Archives contains accessible data relating to:
- Those who unsuccessfully attempted to enlist
- Those who actually did enlist
- A variety of other resources, not altogether obvious to the non-military mind
We will also look at:
- the resources made available by the Australian War Memorial;
- and published materials, including newspapers, and unit histories;
- We will touch on letters and diaries.