Victorian Expo (Geelong) - Program
Pre-Bookings have now closed. Entry is $5.00 on the day. Doors open at 9am.
Provisional program - some topics and details to be finalised
PROGRAM FRIDAY 2 SEPTEMBER 2011
|From||To||Series A - Most in Function Room on 2nd Floor ||Series B - Most in Green Room on Ground Floor|
|9.00am||Exhibition throughout the day|
|9.30am||10.00am||Findmypast.co.uk: an introduction - Rosemary Kopittke||Genealogical Society of Victoria - Susie Zada FREE|
|10.10am||10.50am||Asylums: looking for the sick, the poor & the aged - Shauna Hicks||Soldier Settlement in Victoria - Dr David Rowe|
|11.00am||11.40am||Regional newspapers: a wonderful resource - Peter Mansfield||Introduction to family and local history research at Public Record Office Victoria - Lauren Bourke FREE|
|11.50am||12.20pm||ScotlandsPeople: the place to launch your Scottish research - Rosemary Kopittke||The collections of the Royal Historical Society Victoria - Kate Prinsley FREE|
|1.15pm||1.45pm||Captain Octavius Skinner Burton - Andrew Kilsby||Geelong Heritage Centre - discover your treasure in Victoria's largest regional archive collection - Mark Beasley FREE|
|1.55pm||2.35pm||FamilySearch: ancestors at your fingertips - Paul Parton||Are you sure you aren't reinventing the wheel? Why you should check if the Society of Australian Genealogists already holds your family's history - Heather Garnsey|
|2.40pm||3.20pm||Tasmanian family history research - Dr Dianne Snowden||Accessing your state's archives in regional Victoria: featuring Ballarat Archives Centre, Bendigo Regional Archive Centre and Places of Deposit - Lauren Bourke FREE|
|3.30pm||4.10pm||Its Not All Online: Where Else Can I Look? - Shauna Hicks||Researching Irish immigrant women - Dr Liz Rushen|
|4.20pm||5.00pm||DNA for genealogists - Kerry Farmer||Family history & sports archives - Bruce Smith|
join the presenters, exhibitors and the Unlock the Past Team for a meal and informal networking
|7.30pm||9.00pm||SPECIAL EVENING PROGRAM|
Hit the Road Digger: the building of the Great Ocean Road
by Shirley Power & Colin Mockett
with images, story and songs from the period
CLICK HERE for further details.
PROGRAM SATURDAY 3 SEPTEMBER 2011
|From||To||Series A||Series B|
|9.00am||Exhibition throughout the day|
|9.30am||10.00am||Findmypast.com.au: what is there, what is coming and how to use it - Rosemary Kopittke||Australian Institute of Genealogical Studies: a treasure trove for family historians - Anne Major FREE|
|10.10am||10.50am||The National Library: family historians' treasure trove - Jenny Higgins||1942: War comes to Australia - Alan Phillips/Jacqui FREE time changed|
|11.00am||11.40am||Preservation of your records - Kay Söderlund, Preservation Australia||Regional and university libraries - Kristen Thornton|
|11.50am||12.20pm||Ancestry.com.au - Brad Argent||Finding families at the State Library of Victoria - Anne Burrows FREE|
|1.15pm||1.45pm||Heritage tourism - Dr Dianne Snowden||Tracing English ancestors - Kerry Farmer - new topic|
|1.55pm||2.35pm||Look local, it's not all on the web: regional family and local history societies - Susie Zada||Museum treasures of regional Victoria - Laura Miles FREE|
|2.40pm||3.20pm||Social media for family historians - Carole Riley||Researching Pre-Federation Military Ancestors - Andrew Kilsby|
|3.30pm||4.10pm||Google your family tree: Tips & tricks - Shauna Hicks||Sewerage records: an untapped magnificent resource - Susie Zada|
|4.20pm||5.00pm||FamilySearch: more records to more people faster - Paul Parton||Connecting with family lines online - R. Kopittke|
- There is a charge to attend each main presentation of $5.
- Some presentations are FREE - as indicated.
- The dinner after the Expo closes on the Friday is open to all. You are invited to join speakers, exhibitors, the Unlock the Past team and others. It will be held at the venue. Further details will be advised to all who have pre-registered near the Expo date.
- SPECIAL EVENING PROGRAM (Friday). We are fortunate to have historian/writer Colin Mockett and musician Shirley Power of Drop of a Hat Productions bring us a special show Hit the Road Digger: the building of the Great Ocean Road with images, story and songs from the period. The tickets for the concert will be $10 for those registered for the Expo and $15 for those attending the concert only. See the Special Feature page for further details.
- Tickets for the main talks will be available for purchase prior to the event upon registration (by Monday 29 August) through this website or by phone. Also at the Expo (subject to room capacity and numbers pre-booked). For those who book in advance, tickets will be available at the registration desk, with your registration kit when you arrive.
- If you book online you will receive an email confirmation of your Expo booking with talks you have pre-booked. Please print this and bring it with you to facilitate entry.
- There will be hundreds of dollars worth of Expo special offers, prizes and more.